MMS Shop Additional Services
UNT Risk Management will pick up and recycle all batteries.
- nickel cadmium (Ni Cad)
- lead acid
- lithium ion (LI Ion)
- lithium polymer (Li Poly)
- nickel-metal hydride (NiMH)
Certifiable Hard Drive Disposal
MMS will also "degauss" your old hard drives or other magnetic media. Solid state drives, SSDs, cannot be deguassed; they must be magnetic media.
The degaussing process produces an erasing field many times stronger than those produced by the read/write heads in computing equipment. All data will be completely and securely destroyed.
The degaussing process will meet compliance standards including:
- PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry) Data Security Standard
- NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) Guidelines for Media Sanitation
- NIST SP 800-36, NIST SP 800-88
- HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act)
- PIPEDA (Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act)
- GLBA (Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act) and California Senate Bill 1386.
Bring any standard size (no larger than 4.5" wide by 1.5" high) hard drives, backup tapes, zip disks or 3.5" floppy disks to the MMS office. If you need to inventory these items for your records, please do so before you give them to us. We will send them to UNT surplus for proper disposal.
Take your hard drive to Sage Hall, Room 233, to have the hardware disposed of for you.