UNT Risk Management will pick up and recycle all batteries.
- nickel-cadmium (NiCad)
- lead acid
- lithium-ion (Li-Ion)
- lithium polymer (Li-Poly)
- nickel-metal hydride (NiMH)
For questions about hazardous waste material, send an email to UNT Risk Management Services, AskRMS@unt.edu.
Drive Degaussing (HDDs)
MMS currently has a degausser that will be moved to the UIT Tech suite in GAB 204 when the suite re-opens after the COVID response. Self-service access to the degausser will be available on request via ServiceNow ticket or by contacting the UIT HelpDesk at 940-565-2324.
The degausser meets compliance standards including:
- PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry) Data Security Standard
- NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology) Guidelines for Media Sanitation
- NIST SP 800-36, NIST SP 800-88
- HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act)
- PIPEDA (Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act)
- GLBA (Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act) and California Senate Bill 1386.
Drive Wiping (SSDs)
You can use a tool called Parted Magic to securely wipe NVMe and SATA SSDs. Parted Magic is a live Linux distribution that runs off of a flash drive. A license can be acquired for $11 or $39/year with free updates. For more info visit https://partedmagic.com/