Student Tech Tour, Stop #7: Wireless Connections
UIT Tech Tour Menu
- 1. Help Desk Information
- 2. Account Management System, EagleConnect
- 3. myUNT, EagleAlert, Ask UNT
- 4. Online, Blended Learning
- 5. Student Computer Labs
- 6. Securing Your Data: Backing It Up
- 7. Wireless Connections
- 8. Wireless Connections for Residence Halls
- 9. Copyright Law, IT and You
- 10. Legal Downloads, Entertainment
- 11. Discounts on Hardware, Software
- 12. More IT Resources
Stop #7: Here you will learn about four methods to connect to a wireless network: EagleNet, UNT, EduRoam and ResNet.
1. Eaglenet: An open network in all academic and service buildings and general areas, but not recommended.
2. UNT Network: Secure (802.1x authentication and AES encryption) and preferred. The UNT network provides access to campus academic resources and the Internet. It provides a secure connection over the air at all UNT locations and will work the same at all locations once configured on your device. This one is recommended.
3. EduRoam: Education Roaming, also called EduRoam, is secure with 802.1x authentication and AES encryption; provides access to some local resources and the Internet. It also authenticates visiting students, researchers, faculty, and staff with their credentials from their respective institutions worldwide. FYI: Students, staff and faculty can use their UNT credentials at other universities and educational sites.
4. ResNet: Wireless connectivity, called ResNet, in the UNT residence halls is provided by Apogee, a provider of on-campus residential networks in higher education.
UNT Network or Eaglenet? The UNT network offers two main benefits over Eaglenet.
- The UNT network has increased security providing encryption.
- It does not require a login portal to access the wireless network.
Help Desk Assistance: The UIT Help Desk website has information about the wireless networks available at UNT. That information includes how to get started with Eaglenet and UNT wireless services with easy-to-follow configuration instructions.
NOTE: Students may not connect their own wireless network-serving devices to the University of North Texas and Resnet networks. The Network Connection Policy is available at https://policy.unt.edu/policydesc/network-connections-policy-3-11.
For more information on the wireless networks available at UNT and UNT System institutions see UNT System Wireless Networking.
Please participate in the Help Desk Client Feedback Survey.